3D PRINTED HOLLOW FORM OBJECT: THE HYBRID


A.) In this project, we were supposed to design simple forms to be combined with random partners forms. This would create an interesting hybrid object. My original forms are simple, but my partner's forms seemed more complex, which was a lovely contrast that I believe propelled our project to be successful in the end.

B.) Here are my original forms as well as my partners:


Here is how we combined our forms initially:


We decided not to go with these because we were worried about the form being quite top-heavy, therefore we opted for a 2-bulb top of the form.

And the sketches: 


Here was our final concept that we decided to run with as the printed result:




C.) I believe our design is successful for a multitude of reasons. To start, the more upfront parts of the design come from my partner Bryana, who had smart and solid ideas about what she wanted her shapes to be. For me, my forms were an interesting mix of simple and elaborate, which fit in perfectly with my partner's forms. My forms are more apparent in the smaller, sort of architectural details, whereas Bryana's are more natural. This created a very interesting form that (to me) feels quite intuitive. So we continued to brainstorm combinations of our forms. We settled on the idea of an almost-taj-mahal-looking structure. 

Not only all that, but we experimented with the actual printing of our object as well. At the top half of the object, we decided to attempt printing a flat service, which was considered to be a bad choice. That being said, we conquered this flaw by taking a shot in the dark and experimenting, which ended up working out perfectly!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remix Culture: This Feels Like a Parody

Refining Our Remix Project